The purpose of the Alumni Board is to:
- give Yalari Alumni the opportunity to develop boardroom experience in a safe and developmental environment.
- support the sustainability of Yalari by training and mentoring alumni to be directors of the Yalari Board.
To support this experience, formal training and mentoring will be provided to each participant. Training will be provided by the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) as part of a structured plan developed specifically for this program. Each participant will also receive mentorship from an existing Yalari board member and members from the AICD.
The Alumni Board will follow the same process as the Yalari board, including quarterly meetings, and adhere to the Yalari constitution, all other board issued policies and directions, and relevant confidentiality and privacy requirements. The number of the Alumni board will be a maximum of 10.
Those interested Alumni will need to complete the ALUMNI BOARD APPLICATION FORM and submit this to the Pathways Manager. The Board Chair, Managing Director, Pathways Manager and Chief Finance and Operating Officer will review the applications and appoint the members.
Involvement & Expectations
If successful, appointment to the Alumni Board will require a 2-year commitment.
The Alumni Board will meet as follows:
- March, being a 2-day training workshop (in person, Yalari office, Gold Coast)
- May (online)
- August (online)
- November (online)
Exact dates will be confirmed with successful applicants.
The meetings in May, August, and November will be board meetings and will run for approximately 3 hours.
Board reports are provided one week before the meeting. It is expected that the members have read through the report and are well-prepared for each meeting.
The board meeting is run by the Yalari board chair.
Minutes from the meeting will be documented by the Yalari Company Secretary with outcomes and feedback passed onto the Yalari Board for their meeting. The Alumni Board will also be notified of any relevant decisions made at the Yalari board meeting.
It is expected that this program will yield the following outcomes:
- Provide real-world boardroom experience for Yalari Alumni
- Give Yalari Alumni formal governance training
- Provide an opportunity for alumni board members, who excel in this role, an opportunity to become part of the Yalari board
- Educate, mentor and guide the future Indigenous leaders and decision-makers of Australia.
HELP INDIGENOUS CHILDREN RECEIVE A QUALITY EDUCATION, TO DREAM BIG AND ACHIEVE!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER
Yalari respects our Elders, past and present, and acknowledges that our office is on Kombumerri country within the lands of the Yugambeh language group