Position Title: Student Support Manager
Location: Yalari Head Office, Gold Coast
Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
Yalari’s Mission is to educate and empower Indigenous children from regional, rural and remote communities to bring about generational change.
Our Vision is to provide trusted, quality educational opportunities for Indigenous children to achieve positive outcomes for themselves and their families and make a valuable contribution as Australians. It takes a whole community to educate a child and Yalari brings together stakeholders who provide the financial and in-kind support that enable us to create educational opportunities and outcomes for Indigenous children.
Our Core Values are Compassion, Openness, Respect, Resilience, Inclusiveness and Excellence.
As a Not-for-Profit company, Yalari seeks funding from corporate bodies, philanthropic trusts and foundations, private benefactors and government. Yalari aims to provide programs that will bring about generational change by giving Indigenous children the opportunity for a quality education through full boarding scholarships at some of the highest achieving secondary schools in Australia. In 2020 we have 211 students enrolled in 23 boarding schools around Australia.
As part of the senior management team, the Student Support Manager is responsible for leading the Student Support team to achieve the outcomes identified in Yalari Strategic Plan.
The Student Support Manager is responsible for:
- Ongoing day to day management of Student Support team
- Student care and support
- Parent relationship management
- Partnership school relationship management
- Reporting and case management
The Student Support Manager leads and manages the geographically diverse team of Student Support Officers and is responsible for their performance, engagement, learning and development.
Please note that although this role is based out of the Yalari office (on the Gold Coast) and generally adheres to standard office hours, the Student Support Manager will be required to be the first contact for Student Support Officers working around the country. This will involve fielding calls afterhours and weekends, especially in times of crisis.
Travel is a requirement of the position. As our Student Support Officers are based throughout Australia and there will be times when travel is required to these areas and our partnership schools.
The position reports to the Managing Director.
Key internal stakeholders include the Founding Director, Managing Director, Pathways Manager, Business Manager and Fundraising Manager.
As the Student Support Manager you will have responsibility for achieving the Strategic Plan Objectives and targets allocated to you.
- Proactive day to day management of the Student Support Team, including administrative review and approval of staff expense reimbursement, time sheets, case notes, and oversight of Yalari’s student events and activities while operating within approved budget funding limits.
- Show strong leadership and maintain a high level of performance delivery and accountability by the team and within the team and through the recruitment and induction of new Student Support Officers.
- Be responsible for the development of the budget areas within the Student Support Team and accountable for operating within the approved budget areas.
- Continuous improvement and development of the Student Support Officer role through timely and effective performance management.
- Develop and maintain effective standard operating procedures for Student Support Team activities ensuring strategic outcomes are achieved, resources are used efficiently and support is provided consistently across the team, the students, the families and the schools.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the heads of academic and boarding departments at all partnership schools.
- Support the Student Support Officers to maintain relationships with key boarding and academic staff at partnership schools.
- Provide professional and timely guidance to Student Support Officers in maintaining a healthy relationship with the families and with crisis management that arise in their work.
- Maintain meaningful and effective communication structures for the Student Support Team through routine conference calls, quarterly workshops and other means to create a connected team who are learning and lending support to each other.
- Prepare concise, accurate and meaningful reports for management and quarterly board reporting on the progress of strategic plan outcomes and targets and business initiatives.
Key Performance Indicators
Success in the role will be measured based on a set of balanced KPI’s reflected in the current strategic plan.
Regular reviews will be conducted throughout the year including providing quarterly reports to the board.
Experience and Competencies
- Have tertiary qualifications in teaching, social welfare or counselling and/or 3-5 years’ experience working in related fields.
- Demonstrated team management experience
- Computer literacy, including database management experience
- Leadership qualities in building high performing and accountable teams
- Proven Team player – responsive, flexible and approachable
- Self-motivated with a positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to meet budget and KPI’s
- Proven experience in relationship management
- Sound knowledge and experience of the independent school system
- Experience working with Indigenous people and an empathy for Indigenous issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education
Yalari is committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of its staff. Yalari and its staff must comply with a range of statutory requirements, including equal opportunity, occupational health and safety, privacy and trade practice. Yalari also expects staff to comply with its policy and procedures, which relate to statutory requirements and our ways of working.
Yalari operates within a standard office environment where an office dress code applies.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a mandatory Working with Children check.
To apply for this position please contact Llew Mullins at firstname.lastname@example.org with an expression of interest and your CV.